Friday, April 8, 2011

Tofu How To

Every time I sit down at the lunch table in our lounge at work with some leftovers containing tofu, I get the same handful of responses: "Oh, I don't do tofu" or "I've never liked that stuff"or "It always tastes mushy."

I always feel the need to defend my beloved tofu, whose versatility, health benefits, and deliciousness are pretty amazing.  The truth is that many people with a negative view of tofu just don't know how to prepare it properly.

Instead of spending your time squeezing the moisture out of slices of tofu wedged under stacks of cookbooks on plates layered with ridiculous amounts of paper towels, try this easy method for firm tofu with a crispy, golden outer crust.

Heat about two tablespoons of cooking oil (I use canola) in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.  While you're waiting on the oil to heat up, cut your tofu into cubes.


When the oil is heated, plop in your tofu cubes and spread them out into a single layer.

Monitor closely and check often until the bottom side is golden brown.  It usually takes about 5-8 minutes depending on your stove.

Once the underside is golden, flip the cubes over and repeat.  I use tongs to individually turn each piece, which seems laborious, but ensures even browning.


Once the tofu is browned on the top and bottom, you can kind of stir it around for a few minutes to crisp up the other sides.

Afterwards, toss into stir fry, with your favorite pasta and sauce, or into a wrap with seasoned veggies.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amy, I love your blog. I don't have a garden since I live in a small Atlanta apartment, but I do dream of having a little garden of my own. Anyhoo, I'm dabbling in vegetarianism, but I have a sinking suspicion that I am allergic to soy. Do you have and suggestions for non-soy protein options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of what I can find online suggests beans, egg whites (if you're still eating eggs), peas, spinach, quinoa, buckwheat, nuts, broccoli, lentils, almonds, and seitan. Sorry to hear about your soy dilemma. So much vegetarian stuff utilizes soy...hope you can avoid it!

    ReplyDelete