Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Get Growing

Signs of warm weather seem to awaken everyone who has spent the winter months under wraps, but gardeners get especially excited at this time of year.  As soon as the temperature became more tolerable and this episode of Charlotte Talks about backyard vegetable gardening aired, I rush ordered my seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds and got to work.

Throughout the year, I spare from the recycling bin any containers I think might be useful for starting seeds and transplanting seedlings as they continue to grow bigger.  I simply poke small holes in the bottom with a nail to allow the water to drain.  I also invest in some of those disposable aluminum lasagna pans to place all of the containers into once the seeds are planted so that I can water them without worry.  No need to waste money on those fancy seed starting kits. 


Last weekend I started several varieties of tomatoes including Mortgage Lifter, Aunt Ruby's German Green, and Yellow Currant as well as Super Thai hot peppers, jalapenos, Italian pepperoncinis, and basil.  



The next few weeks will be spent getting our garden plot, which has been seriously neglected for months, ready for planting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment